How to Find Work After a Stretch of Unemployment
Applying to new jobs can often be a stressful experience. You want to make the best impression on your potential employer with a stunning resume and a great interview. However, when you have a wide employment gap on your resume, it can be challenging to explain that to your recruiter. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to find work after a stretch of unemployment and to remain appealing to prospective employers. Read on to learn how you can best apply to jobs after unemployment and how working with a staffing agency can give you a valuable advantage.
Preparing to Apply to Jobs
Although you may want to find a new job as quickly as possible, it is important to lay some groundwork to make your unemployment gap less noticeable on your resume. You can do this by:
- Ensuring that your skills and qualifications are at the top of your resume and visible
- Preparing an excellent cover letter that explains your stretch of unemployment and how your situation has changed to allow you to work again
- Reaching out to close friends, family, and professional contacts to see if they can refer you for any opportunities.
- Putting together questions for your interviews that will show the employer that their needs and goals are important to you
- Taking some courses and getting a certification to strengthen your qualifications and display your commitment to continuing your growth and capabilities.
The Next Steps
Once you have done all of the preparation mentioned above, you should feel more confident about what jobs you want to apply for and your qualifications for those jobs. Now, it’s time to start searching for those positions you may be interested in. You can find work through multiple methods, including:
- Exploring jobs on popular, highly-rated job posting websites using filters to pare down your search results
- Applying for a high volume of positions, ensuring that you are allowing yourself all possible opportunities that align with your needs
- Utilizing the help of staffing experts at your local staffing agency to ensure that you are as supported and as informed as possible
How Your Staffing Agency Helps You Find Work
First Team Staffing in Baltimore is an excellent resource for job seekers looking to find work after a stretch of unemployment. We have the connections and resources you need to re-enter the job market and to advertise your skills as effectively as possible. When you work with a staffing agency, you benefit from:
- All services free of charge. Staffing agencies are paid by the employers looking for staff rather than the employees looking for jobs.
- Interview coaching
- Resume and cover letter assistance
- A list of opportunities based on your skills and job preferences
- Access to temporary, part-time, and full-time opportunities
- A long-term partner committed to helping you find work and build your skills and ability to grow within your desired career or industry.
Contact First Team Staffing today to begin your return to the workforce.
Let First Team Staffing Be Your Employment Solution
First Team Staffing, located in Baltimore, MD, specializes in the recruitment and placement of professional and temporary workers. The company, founded in 1982, is now a national leader in our industry. In our 35+ years of business, First Team has remained hands-on, relationship-based, and dedicated to partnerships we forge with our clients. We are proud to help our clients achieve their goals by providing them with a flexible and qualified workforce while providing genuine career opportunities to candidates. First Team Staffing has offices in Baltimore, Aberdeen, White Marsh, Columbia, Bowie, and Sparrows Point, MD. We have recently opened offices in Tennessee, located in Nashville, La Vergne, and Mount Juliet. Visit us online or in-person today to start your job or employee search, or reach us by phone at 410-719-0404. Follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter for employment advice and company updates.