What Is a Temp Job, and Should You Apply For One?
Temp jobs, or temporary jobs, are positions employees hold for a short period based on an agreement with the company that hired them. These periods can be as short as a few hours or as long as a few months. Many companies bring on temps during production peaks. A temp job can be very beneficial to certain workers looking for a quick way to earn an income, more work experience, and flexibility. If you are interested in learning more about temp jobs and whether you should apply for one, read on to learn what a temp job can provide and how you can find one.
The Benefits of a Temp Job
Even if you are looking for a permanent position, a temp job can do a lot for you during an extended job search. Your temp job can provide the following benefits:
- A quick opportunity to make some money. If you are between full-time jobs or don’t have time to commit to a permanent position, a temp job can still help you pay the bills.
- An opportunity to network.
- Continuous employment on your resume. Taking on a temp job can help you eliminate large employment gaps in your resume.
- A chance to try out different industries. Temp jobs permit you to dip your toe into waters you may not have considered. When you explore multiple industries, you can discover different interests and skills.
- A chance to enhance your skills. As you take on new temp jobs, you have an opportunity to develop and grow new and existing skills that make you appealing to more employers.
- A chance to find a full-time position. Your temp job may turn into a permanent job, especially if you and the company get along well.
- Flexibility. When working with a temp agency, you have a wide array of jobs to choose from on various schedules.
How Do You Find a Temp Job?
The best way to find temp jobs near you is by making sure that your resume is updated, your interview skills are polished, and you are focused on your job search. The best way to optimize your temp job search is to:
- Clean up your resume. Make sure your resume is professional and not overdone. Include the skills and previous jobs that make you an excellent fit for the jobs you are applying for. Your name and contact information should be easy to spot, and the resume should contain no spelling or grammatical errors.
- Establish your goals. To find what you’re looking for, you first need to know what that is. Make a list of jobs you are interested in and any other specifications you desire, including schedule, pay, and more.
- Find a temp agency. Temporary staffing agencies work to fill jobs for companies in need. They will work to set you up with temp jobs that fit your skills and specifications.
When you work with First Team Staffing, you can find a temp job soon that fits your interests and skills perfectly. You may even find that this temp job reveals to you what you want out of the rest of your career.
Let First Team Staffing Be Your Employment Solution
First Team Staffing, located in Baltimore, MD, specializes in the recruitment and placement of professional and temporary workers. The company, founded in 1982, is now a national leader in our industry. In our 35+ years of business, First Team has remained hands-on, relationship-based, and dedicated to partnerships we forge with our clients. We are proud to help our clients achieve their goals by providing them with a flexible and qualified workforce while providing genuine career opportunities to candidates. First Team Staffing has offices in Baltimore, Aberdeen, White Marsh, Columbia, Bowie, and Sparrows Point, MD. We have recently opened offices in Tennessee, located in Nashville, La Vergne, and Mount Juliet. Visit us online or in-person today to start your job or employee search, or reach us by phone at 410-719-0404. Follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter for employment advice and company updates.