What You Need to Know About Being a Temp
Temporary work can help anyone fill an employment gap or prepare for permanent positions in the future. If you decide that temp work may be a good fit for you, it is helpful to understand what temp work involves and how it can benefit your career path.
What Is a Temp?
A temp works at a company for a defined, relatively short-term period. You may be brought on to substitute for a permanent employee on leave or help manage seasonal or project-based increases in business. Temps work in offices, restaurants, retail stores, manufacturing companies, shipping businesses, and many other industries.
A majority of those companies use staffing agencies to fill their temporary roles. Staffing agencies act as human resources by matching ideal candidates to the available positions that fit their skills.
Is a Temp Job Right For You?
There are many ways in which a temp job can work for you. Many temp workers explore this kind of work when they are looking for:
- A change in their career path: temp work can allow you extra time to make decisions about your future education, try jobs in different industries, and decide which path you may want to pursue.
- Immediate employment: when working with a temp agency, you find work more quickly through their established relationship with companies.
- Temp-to-hire opportunities: employers can see you at work and may offer you a full-time position.
- Work in a specialized field: working in these fields can help you experience new areas where you may want to begin a long-term career.
- Exposure to different jobs: If you are new to the workforce and want to explore different positions, being a temp can help you experience various industries.
- Seasonal work: If you have other responsibilities or employment during the rest of the year, seasonal jobs can provide short-term work with a definite endpoint.
Being a temp can provide you with a range of experiences that can help you in your career, no matter what you pursue. If you’re ready to explore new opportunities and learn new skills, temp work is one of the best ways to do so.
Let First Team Staffing Be Your Employment Solution
First Team Staffing, located in Baltimore, MD, specializes in the recruitment and placement of professional and temporary workers. The company, founded in 1982, is now a national leader in our industry. In our 35+ years of business, First Team has remained hands-on, relationship-based, and dedicated to partnerships we forge with our clients. We are proud to help our clients achieve their goals by providing them with a flexible and qualified workforce while providing genuine career opportunities to candidates. First Team Staffing has offices in Baltimore, Aberdeen, White Marsh, Columbia, Bowie, and Sparrows Point, MD. We have recently opened offices in Tennessee, located in Nashville, La Vergne, and Mount Juliet. Visit us online or in-person today to start your job or employee search, or reach us by phone at 410-719-0404. Follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter for employment advice and company updates.