What Are the Responsibilities of a Temporary Employee?
A temporary employee, or “temp,” refers to a person who has taken a temporary position with a company. Various industries employ temps, so their duties will depend on who they are working for. However, there are similar responsibilities and benefits that all temporary employees encounter during their work. If you are interested in becoming a temporary employee, read on for more details.
Why Become a Temporary Employee?
A variety of people become temps, for a wide range of reasons. These reasons may include:
- Desiring some extra cash
- Wanting to add variety to their work life
- Looking for access to a new industry
- The employee isn’t able to find full-time work in their preferred industry
- The employee is unsure what job they want, and is trying out possibilities
- The person works in an industry that has more opportunities for temporary workers
If you can relate to one or more of these reasons, temporary work may be a perfect fit.
What Does a Temporary Employee Do?
Companies often bring in temps to help them meet their business demands without going through the hassle of hiring a permanent employee. Typically, the responsibilities of a temporary employee will be the following:
- Learn the duties of the position they have been hired for
- Follow company rules and procedures
- Help the staff successfully work through their busy season
- Be flexible and ready to meet the needs of the employer
- Commit to the job the way they would if it were a permanent position
How Temporary Employees Find Work
You can find temps in nearly every industry. The easiest way to find a temp job is through a staffing agency, such as First Team Staffing in Catonsville, MD. Agencies find and retain workers for businesses and select them to do short or long-term assignments. Companies pay the agencies to find the workers, so the temps do not need to pay the agency. A staffing agency may be able to find your temporary positions in the following roles:
- Warehouse workers
- Customer services representatives
- Data entry workers
- Secretaries and administrative assistants
The Benefits of Temporary Employment
If you aren’t yet convinced that being a temporary employee can be a beneficial experience, many temps are drawn to the experience because of the following advantages:
- Flexible scheduling: you can choose where and when you want to work, or you can select to not work during the summer or holidays
- Get a job quickly: if you need to make ends meet, or need extra income for the holidays, you can find a temp job to give you that extra boost without committing to a new permanent job
A staffing agency can help you find the right temporary work for you, depending on your reasons for wanting to be a temporary employee. Contact First Team Staffing today to determine if this choice is right for you.
Let First Team Staffing Be Your Employment Solution
First Team Staffing, located in Baltimore, MD, specializes in recruitment and placement of professional and temporary workers. The company, founded in 1982, is now a national leader in our industry. In our 35+ years of business, First Team has remained hands-on, relationship-based, and dedicated to partnerships we forge with our clients. We are proud to help our clients achieve their goals by providing them with a flexible and qualified workforce while providing genuine career opportunities to candidates. First Team Staffing has offices in Baltimore, Aberdeen, White Marsh, Columbia, Bowie, and Sparrows Point, MD. We have recently opened offices in Tennessee, located in Nashville, La Vergne, and Mount Juliet. Visit us online or in-person today to start your job or employee search, or reach us by phone at 410-719-0404. Follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter for employment advice and company updates.